Value chain of the corn leaf (Totomoxtle) in Valle de Puebla, Mexico

Agricultura Sociedad y Desarrollo

View Publication Info
 
 
Field Value
 
Title Value chain of the corn leaf (Totomoxtle) in Valle de Puebla, Mexico
La cadena de valor de la hoja de maíz (Totomoxtle) en el Valle de Puebla, México
 
Creator Alvarado Teyssier, Rafael
Escobedo Garrido, José Sergio
Aceves Ruiz, Ernesto
Morales Jiménez, Juan
Mora Pérez, Mauricio
 
Description Of the corn plant, producers use the grain and stubble, but few extract and add value to the bracts that cover the cobs called totomoxtle. Among the producers, 70% obtain losses with the grain, and the rest attains a reduced profitability. The failure to exploit totomoxtle and the lack of knowledge about its Productive and Value Chain (PVC) prevents from improving the global profitability of the crop. The objective of the study was to identify the PVC of totomoxtle, to determine the trade margins, and to recognize improvement activities to increase the profitability of the crop. Interviews (133) were carried out with producers, traders and consumers, and used to elaborate the PVC map, calculate trade margins, and estimate the contribution of totomoxtle to the profitability of the crop. The PVC is a short chain due to the number of participants, integrated by producer-intermediary-retailer-intermediate consumer-final consumer. The absolute and relative margins obtained per leaf are $1.01 pesos, equivalent to 83.5% of the final price, appropriated by the trading agents to carry out activities of selection, stockpile, transformation and distribution during the year; the remaining 16.5% corresponds to the payment for the producer’s work. With the net contribution of totomoxtle of $0.03/leaf and the volume obtained, the profitability changes from 1.20 to 1.23.
Del maíz, los productores aprovechan el grano y el rastrojo, pero pocos extraen y agregan valor a las brácteas que cubren a la mazorca llamadas totomoxtle. De ellos, 70% obtienen pérdidas con el grano, el resto logra una reducida rentabilidad. El desaprovechamiento del totomoxtle y el desconocimiento de su Cadena Productiva y de Valor (CPV), impide mejorar la rentabilidad global del cultivo. El objetivo del trabajo fue identificar la CPV del totomoxtle, determinar los márgenes de comercialización y reconocer actividades de mejora para incrementar la rentabilidad del cultivo. Se realizaron 133 entrevistas a productores, comercializadores y consumidores, con ello se elaboró el mapa de la CPV, se calcularon los márgenes de comercialización y se estimó la aportación del totomoxtle a la rentabilidad del cultivo. La CPV es una cadena corta por el número de participantes, integrada por el productor-intermediario-detallista-consumidor intermedio-consumidor final. Los márgenes absoluto y relativo obtenidos por hoja son: $1.01 pesos, equivalente a 83.5% de su precio final, apropiado por los agentes comercializadores por realizar actividades de selección, acopio, transformación y distribución durante el año; el 16.5% restante corresponde a la retribución del trabajo del productor. Con la aportación neta del totomoxtle de $0.03/hoja, y el volumen que se obtiene, la rentabilidad cambia de 1.20 a 1.23.
 
Publisher Colegio de Postgraduados
 
Date 2021-02-05
 
Type info:eu-repo/semantics/article
info:eu-repo/semantics/publishedVersion
 
Format application/pdf
 
Identifier https://www.revista-asyd.mx/index.php/asyd/article/view/1393
10.22231/asyd.v17i4.1393
 
Source Agricultura Sociedad y Desarrollo; Vol. 17 Núm. 4 (2020): Agricultura, Sociedad y Desarrollo; 583-602
2594-0244
1870-5472
 
Language spa
 
Relation https://www.revista-asyd.mx/index.php/asyd/article/view/1393/600
 
Rights Derechos de autor 2021 Rafael Alvarado Teyssier, José Sergio Escobedo Garrido, Ernesto Aceves Ruiz, Juan Morales Jiménez, Mauricio Mora Pérez
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0
 

Contact Us

The PKP Index is an initiative of the Public Knowledge Project.

For PKP Publishing Services please use the PKP|PS contact form.

For support with PKP software we encourage users to consult our wiki for documentation and search our support forums.

For any other correspondence feel free to contact us using the PKP contact form.

Find Us

Twitter

Copyright © 2015-2018 Simon Fraser University Library