Aboveground biomass and volume equations for Pinus halepensis Mill., in Coahuila, Mexico

Madera y Bosques

View Publication Info
 
 
Field Value
 
Title Aboveground biomass and volume equations for Pinus halepensis Mill., in Coahuila, Mexico
Ecuaciones de biomasa aérea y volumen para Pinus halepensis Mill., en Coahuila, México
 
Creator Montoya Jiménez, Juan C.
Méndez González, Jorge
Sosa Díaz, Librado
Ruíz González, Cecilia G.
Zermeño González, Alejandro
Nájera Luna, Juan A.
Manzano Camarillo, Mario G.
Velázquez Rodríguez, Alma S.
 
Subject allometry
destructive method
plantation
Zapalinamé-Saltillo
alometría
método destructivo
plantación
Zapalinamé-Saltillo
 
Description Conducting studies to measure biomass in terrestrial ecosystems is essential to assess carbon stores and how forest species contribute to the mitigation of climate change. The objective of this study was to adjust allometric equations to estimate aerial biomass and volume of Pinus halepensis Mill. in the Sierra de Zapalinamé, Coahuila. It was assumed that the variables basal diameter and height adequately predict aerial biomass and volume of P. halepensis. 40 trees were used, with basal diameter that varied from 25 cm to 75 cm. The biomass of stem and branches (64%) was, on average, double that of leaves and twigs (36%) and its proportion increased with respect to the total height of the tree, according to the equation: y = 53.4 + 1.2x. The best fits were in volume (R2 = 0.82) and total biomass (R2 = 0.77) with allometric equations of logarithmic linear form, with diameter and height as independent variables (lny = β0 + β1ln (Db2H). Aerial biomass of P. halepensis was 2.5 times smaller than that of other coniferous species, possibly due to the fact that the trees of this species branched almost from the base of the tree, on average 85% of the tree presented branches between 5 cm and 10 cm in diameter.
Realizar estudios para medir la biomasa en ecosistemas terrestres es fundamental para evaluar los almacenes de carbono y cómo las especies forestales contribuyen a la mitigación del cambio climático. El objetivo de este estudio fue ajustar ecuaciones alométricas para estimar biomasa aérea y volumen de Pinus halepensis Mill. en la sierra de Zapalinamé, Coahuila. Se partió de la hipótesis de que las variables diámetro basal y altura predicen adecuadamente la biomasa aérea y el volumen de P. halepensis. Se utilizaron 40 árboles, con diámetro basal que varió de 25 cm a 75 cm. La biomasa de fuste y ramas (64%) fue en promedio el doble que la de hojas y ramillas (36%) y su proporción aumentó con respecto a la altura total del árbol, de acuerdo con la ecuación: y = 53.4 + 1.2x. Los mejores ajustes fueron en volumen (R2 = 0.82) y biomasa total (R2 = 0.77) con ecuaciones alométricas de forma lineal logarítmica, con diámetro y altura como variables independientes (lny = β0 + β1ln(Db2H). La biomasa aérea de P. halepensis fue 2.5 veces más pequeña que la de otras especies de coníferas, debido posiblemente a que los árboles de esta especie se ramifican casi desde la base del árbol. En promedio, 85% del árbol presentó ramas de entre 5 cm y 10 cm de diámetro.
 
Publisher Instituto de Ecología, A.C.
 
Date 2018-10-26
 
Type info:eu-repo/semantics/article
info:eu-repo/semantics/publishedVersion
 
Format application/pdf
 
Identifier https://myb.ojs.inecol.mx/index.php/myb/article/view/e2401880
10.21829/myb.2018.2401880
 
Source Madera y Bosques; Vol. 24 (2018): Special issue. Carbon in terrestrial ecosystems
Madera y Bosques; Vol. 24 (2018): Número especial. Carbono en ecosistemas terrestres
2448-7597
1405-0471
 
Language spa
 
Relation https://myb.ojs.inecol.mx/index.php/myb/article/view/e2401880/1815
 
Rights Derechos de autor 2018 Madera y Bosques
 

Contact Us

The PKP Index is an initiative of the Public Knowledge Project.

For PKP Publishing Services please use the PKP|PS contact form.

For support with PKP software we encourage users to consult our wiki for documentation and search our support forums.

For any other correspondence feel free to contact us using the PKP contact form.

Find Us

Twitter

Copyright © 2015-2018 Simon Fraser University Library