Monitoring Land Cover Changes in the Disaster-Prone Area: A Case Study of Cangkringan Sub-District, the Flanks of Mount Merapi, Indonesia

Forum Geografi

View Publication Info
 
 
Field Value
 
Title Monitoring Land Cover Changes in the Disaster-Prone Area: A Case Study of Cangkringan Sub-District, the Flanks of Mount Merapi, Indonesia
 
Creator Sadono, Ronggo
Hartono, Hartono
Machfoedz, Mochammad Maksum
Setiaji, Setiaji
 
Subject
land cover change; disaster-prone area; volcanic eruption; remote sensing; Detailed Spatial Plan;

 
Description Volcanic eruption is one of the natural factors that affect land cover changes. This study aimed to monitor land cover changes using a remote sensing approach in Cangkringan Sub-district, Yogyakarta, Indonesia, one of the areas most vulnerable to Mount Merapi eruption. Three satellite images, dating from 2001, 2006 and 2011, were used as main data for land cover classification based on a supervised classification approach. The land cover detection analysis was undertaken by overlaying the classification results from those images. The results show that the dominant land cover class is annual crops, covering 40% of the study area, while the remaining 60% consists of forest cover types, dryland farming, paddy fields, settlements, and bare land. The forests were distributed in the north, and the annual crops in the middle of the study area, while the villages and the rice fields were generally located in the south. In the 2001–2011 period, forests were the most increased land cover type, while annual crops decreased the most, as a result of the eruption of Mount Merapi in 2010. Such data and information are important for the local government or related institutions to formulate Detailed Spatial Plans (RDTR) in the Disaster-Prone Areas (KRB).
 
Publisher Universitas Muhammadiyah Surakarta
 
Contributor
 
Date 2017-12-12
 
Type info:eu-repo/semantics/article
info:eu-repo/semantics/publishedVersion


 
Format application/pdf
text/html
 
Identifier http://journals.ums.ac.id/index.php/fg/article/view/5324
10.23917/forgeo.v31i2.5324
 
Source Forum Geografi; Vol 31, No 2 (2017): December 2017; 209 - 219
2460-3945
0852-0682
 
Language eng
 
Relation http://journals.ums.ac.id/index.php/fg/article/view/5324/3717
http://journals.ums.ac.id/index.php/fg/article/view/5324/3552
 
Coverage


 
Rights Copyright (c) 2017 Ronggo Sadono, Hartono Hartono, Mochammad Maksum Machfoedz, Setiaji Setiaji
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0
 

Contact Us

The PKP Index is an initiative of the Public Knowledge Project.

For PKP Publishing Services please use the PKP|PS contact form.

For support with PKP software we encourage users to consult our wiki for documentation and search our support forums.

For any other correspondence feel free to contact us using the PKP contact form.

Find Us

Twitter

Copyright © 2015-2018 Simon Fraser University Library